Ranger L-440

The Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation of Farmingdale, Long Island, New York, entered the aircraft engine business in 1925, by forming the Fairchild-Caminez Engine Corporation to develop and produce air-cooled engines for the US Army Air Corps. The company was eventually renamed the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corp. During the 1930’s they developed the Ranger L-440 (an inverted inline-6) that initially developed 175 HP. This engine was continually refined and ultimately produced 220 HP.

Over 6,500 of these engines were produced and they were used in a large number of different aircraft: Douglas O-14, Fairchild trainers (PT-19, T-19, PT-26), UC-61, UC-86, Northwestern-Waco PG-2, J-4F, Falconar SAL Mustang (a Canadian 2/3 scale P-51D Mustang kit-built), Grumman G-44 Widgeon, and St. Louis PT-LM-4.

The advantages of an inline, inverted engine are that pilot forward visibility in increased and drag is reduced due to the cylinders being in a straight line presenting a reduced frontal area (exposure to the airflow).

Engine Name
Ranger L-440
Specifications
Manufactured by:Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corp.
Cylinder Configuration
inverted inline
Number of Cylinders
6
Bore (inches)
4.13
Stroke (inches)
5.5
Displacement (cubic inches)
441
Fuel Type
gasoline
Electrical
magneto with dual spark ignition
Horsepower (max for T.O.)
175 (for 6-440C-2 version)
Rated RPM
2,450
Compression Ratio
6 to 1
Cooling System
air-cooled
Dry Weight (lb)
376