Menasco Motors Corporation was founded by Albert Menasco in 1926. At the request of the industry legend, John Northrop, Al Menasco developed the inverted inline 4-cylinder engine which was used in the 1929 Northrop Avion EX-1, the first of Northrop’s flying wings. The inverted inline design offered many advantages for pilots and aircraft builders, including:
- Streamlined/low drag installation
- A high prop centerline, which allowed the swing of a large prop with shorter landing gear
- Improved visibility for the pilot
- Exhaust fumes directed away from the pilot
- A low center of gravity
- Ease of accessibility to the engine
The first inline Menasco engine, the four-cylinder A4, was certified in May 1930 followed a short time later by the six-cylinder inverted A6.
Claude Ryan was one of Menasco’s best customers. Ryan used the engine first in his Sport Trainer, the Ryan ST/STA, and then in military derivatives such as the PT-16, PT-20 and STM between 1934 and 1941.
|Menasco Motors Corp.
|Date of Manufacture
|Number of Cylinders
|Displacement (cubic inches)
|Dry Weight (lb)
|125-134hp @ 2260 rpm